The Interaction Design Association (IxDA) is now accepting Regional Coordinator nominations for the North American region. Nominations, for yourself or for others you think would be an excellent community leader, will be accepted until Sunday, 25 September, 2016, at 11:59 pm GMT.
IxDA was founded in 2003 and incorporated as a not-for-profit in late 2005. Today, the Interaction Design Association is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that serves a global community focused on discussing and advancing the discipline of interaction design. The community of interest is growing at an amazing pace. This growth reflects the increasing importance of and attention given to interaction design worldwide. In its twelve year history, IxDA has grown to 80,000+ individuals and more than 170 IxDA local groups worldwide.
There is an amazing community of interest to tap into, and always so much more we could be doing. We need your leadership and vision to keep the spirit of the organization alive and support its ability to provide platforms for the community to gather and advance the discipline of interaction design together.
The IxDA Board of Directors consists of volunteer executive committee comprising IxDA members who are serving as leaders of IxDA globally. Regional Coordinators help further the mission of the IxDA and play a critical role in building the community by serving as the liaison between the Board and the local groups.
The organizational mission the IxDA Board supports:
We believe that the human condition is increasingly challenged by poor experiences. IxDA intends to improve the human condition by advancing the discipline of Interaction Design. To do this, we foster a community of people that choose to come together to support this intention. IxDA relies on individual initiative, contribution, sharing and self-organization as the primary means for us to achieve our goals.
About the North American Region
North America - the United States particularly - is where it all began, so this region is a cornerstone of the global community. It covers the diversity of our community – from large groups in San Francisco and New York, to start up groups throughout Canada and the US.
Every second year, the region hosts the annual Interaction Week in February. The host city is selected from an open call to the community.
Other activities within the region include conferences like MidWest UX, CanUX and Fluxible that are all affiliated with local IxDA groups in their area.
The more than 40 local groups have been coordinated by Tonia Bartz and her co-lead Rikki Teeters for the last several years. We owe them our thanks for their commitment to IxDA and feel especially lucky that they will both remain close and will be there for advice as we transition this role to new leadership.
As a volunteer-led and supported organization with no paid membership, IxDA relies on leadership emerging directly from the community. We are seeking highly motivated and passionate individuals, ready to shape and guide the organization in furthering IxDA's goals and mission.
The role of the Regional Coordinator is as follows:
- Onboard and mentor local groups and guide new groups into becoming active locally, regionally and globally
- Manage relationships when local leadership changing hands and offer support to new leader(s)
- Strengthens and connects the local community (e.g. thorough establishing regular communication with and among the local leaders of your region)
- Build a core team of passionate volunteers supporting your work for the region
- Collaborate with fellow Regional Coordinators to foster the global community
- Assist the Board of Directors in understanding the regional needs and how best to support our local groups
- Assist the Board of Directors in evolving and defining an appropriate governance model of local groups to support the growth of local groups worldwide
- Assist the Board of Directors in the communication and outreach to the local groups
- Reliability and strong communication skills are a must
- The preferred candidate has a personal history with the IxDA
The Regional Coordinator role requires the following commitment:
- Participation in a bi-monthly virtual meeting with fellow Regional Coordinators and Board representative
- Active participation in initiatives that support IxDA’s strategic direction as they relate to local and regional needs
- Average of 2-5 hours attending to IxDA business a week
- Planning and presentations at the annual Local Leader Workshop (held at the annual conference)
- Attend annual meeting with Board of Directors representing your region (held at the annual conference)
- Attend the Interaction conference (registration, travel & accommodation covered)
- Must reside in the region
22 Aug: Call for nominations open
25 Sep: Nominations close
10 Oct: Review of applications complete
24 Oct: Interviews complete
26 Oct: Decision ratified by the IxDA board
31 Oct: Successful candidate announced
Feb 27-28: Annual Board retreat prior to Interaction17
Mar 4: New Regional Coordinator presented with the team during Interaction17
- Review of applications
- Interview with board
- Interview with representative local leaders of the region
At the close of the interview process, the Board will ratify the recommendation of the new Regional Coordinator and a public announcement will be made to the IxDA community via the IxDA website.
Nominations will be accepted until Sunday, 25 September, at 11:59 pm EST.
You may nominate yourself or someone else: http://bit.ly/IxDARC2016