Design competition in Malmö, Sweden: Opportunity Space

Van Alen Institute, the City of Malmö, and other partners have just launched_Opportunity Space_, a competition to install a temporary mobile structure in a public park that will offer classes, job training programs, and other activities to support economic opportunity and social inclusion.

The winning team, to be announced in December, will receive a $10,000 award and $25,000 to build their proposal, which will be open for two months in spring 2017

We strongly recommend that teams pre-register by Monday, November 7. The competition deadline is Friday, November 18.

Opportunity Space will make vital services more accessible and visible to people who need them, and will showcase the ways that design can help foster economic opportunity and equity in cities today.

The competition brief is available at the project website. Please contact Jerome Chou, jchou@vanalen.org, with any questions.

Hi all. I’m an architect who works with Buro Ole Scheeren but am joining in this competition as an individual. Currently, I am working from home (Ireland). The brief and project aims are extremely admirable and I see this as a real opportunity to intervene, thought design, to make an actual and exemplary difference in the current migrant and refugee situation.

I am looking to collaborate with people from social work and interaction design backgrounds. I would also hope to find someone to act as a local representative for the implementation process.

Anyone who is interested please contact me so we can get started.