Which HCI master program in UK is the best?

Could anyone tell me something about the HCI master program in UK’s university? Which school’s program ranks high in UK?? Thanks a lot!!!

I’m also looking into which HCI masters are good in the UK. I’ve applied to both of these:

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/silva/prospective-students/graduate/taught/degrees/human-computer-interaction-ergonomics-msc

I know UCL has one of the best reputations in the UK but I’d love to hear what some recent UCL graduates thought of the course.

I am also willing to hear recent UCL graduates’ voice about the course because it seems to that few students studying there talk about the program recent days on internet. How didn’t know these two programs?

We are introducing a new master program to be offered fully online:

http://www.idmaster.eu

Is there anyone can help me on this question? I will appreciate your help so much!!!

Did you get any info on good HCI courses in the UK. The MSc at UCL in particular?

I’m still hoping to get some recent feedback on this one.

As others have said the program at UCL has a great reputation and is one of only a handful of accredited programs through the Institute of Ergonomics and Human Factors. You can see the entire list here.

I hope this helps!

Darren

Thanks a lot for your answer!

I have asked some people and learned that the MSc at UCL is of high ranking and reputation.

Is it really worth the time and money doing a further masters program in HCI when all employers want is graphic design, based ux??? And that’s what they think is HCI.

So are you working on this area now? UI and UX?

Yes and that’s based on job hunting, working for employers who believe ux is graphic design only or just about usability which is rubbish.

I agree with you if it is about finding a job. And could you please tell me where are you working?

I graduated from the UCL HCI program in 2009.

TL;DR:

If reading research fairly dense papers and books, occasionally bashing your wits against team members, or empirical research where sensors are plugged all over your body is not your idea of a Masters-level programme to build a career in UX on, then maybe this is not the course for you. However, if you are after a course that will stimulate and challenge you intellectually and help you build critical perspectives into the craft beyond “just” UX that will far outlast any trend or fad, then you should seriously consider this course.

What was good about the course:

• Strong industry partnerships, particularly in the HCI field - Microsoft Research, TfL, usability and UX agencies like Systems Concepts, Amberlight, etc.
  • Strong HCI foundation - Core reading and coursework is based on sound research and past practice which is peer-reviewed and empirical
  • Good network - During my year, I met some really fantastic, smart, capable and fun people on my course. There is a strong alumni who have strong credentials, are highly regarded in the field and are active in the design community.
  • Balanced, progressive HCI syllabus - Courses like organisational informatics and affective interaction continue to expose students to “just” foundational courses, while the ergonomics offering stand fairly strongly on its own.
  • Recognised qualification - this masters program has the pedigree, with roots going back to the 1960s.

What could have been better about the course:

• Although the course offered “Design Practice” and “Design Experience” modules, the HCI programme lacks the rigour and exposure around studio-based praxis, which schools like RCA, Goldsmiths, and Central St. Martins tend to offer.
  • Some of the classrooms can be downright depressing (one of them we endearingly called “the dungeon”, which we had to spend months in to do our team-based design projects)
  • Overly “academic”: a lot of core reading is considered necessary and foundational to the success of the student. This can sometimes be quite challenging as there is a lot of material and the content doesn’t lend itself to students who may be used to browsing Wikipedia, FastCompany and blogs to learn about design.